The Legacy of William Hood Dunwoody
In the 1800s, during an apprenticeship among Quaker families, William Hood Dunwoody learned more than just good manners; he learned about respect for life and love for all mankind. He carried these ideals throughout his life, and later founded a home for older adults on his property. In 1974, this property became Dunwoody Village, one of the area’s first continuing care retirement communities (CCRC). In the early days, Dunwoody was home to just 50 residents. Today, we are home to more than 400 individuals, some of whom are second members of their families to move in. They come because of our excellent reputation but also because of our continued commitment to Mr. Dunwoody’s ideals — caring, respect, and kindness.
The Octagonal School House
Dunwoody is home to an historic octagonal schoolhouse called the Hood School. Built in 1842 by William H. Dunwoody’s great grandfather James Hood, the schoolhouse was used well into the 19th century. In 2006, it was awarded designation on the National Register of Historic Places. Today it serves local school children as a historic learning site.